Saturday, December 26, 2009

Onigiri for dinner

(from my December 18 facebook post)

After five weeks (47 left to go) on island I have finally taken the culture plunge. I went to several shops out in town and decided to buy my dinner at one the very popular Laswson convenience stores (think 7-11 but way better). One of the items I selected was Onigiri (though I didn't know that's what it was at the time). It turns out that they are color coded, seaweed rapped, triangular "rice balls" (thank you google). The color denotes what's in the middle. I based my selection on logic, if they stock a lot and there are few left, it's probably a good one. Though I realized after the fact that my logic was based on the assumption that "good" to an Okinawan would taste good to me. Fortunately my guess paid off and I selected blue, which I was pleased to discover is tuna with mayo. I also had some kind of pizza filled dough ball, sponge cake rounds and a cherry flavored alcoholic drink.
Here is what my dinner looked like:
 
And of course I had to show a picture of the middle...




Here is the much sought after Onigiri decoder (thanks again google)
 

All things considered, my dinning adventure by way of the local corner store went well and I look forward to expanding my Okinawan cultural horizons further...but only for another 47 weeks.

No comments: